Monday, April 16, 2012

Is This Really Going to Work? Like...long-term?

So by now, I've been doing this whole "losing it at home" thing for about 6 weeks. And in 6 weeks, I've learned a few things. Not only about fitness in general, but a few things about myself. Allow me to share my new "body revelations".

1: Keep an Open Mind

When engaging in fitness, or starting a work-out program, I think it's safe to say that most of us fall into a pretty rigid pattern. Our "routine", we tend to call it. Suffice to say, my "routine" had only managed to help me gain 30#, a perpetual place at the gas pump, and a set of biceps that wouldn't fit most women's shirts. So, as they say, back to the drawing board.

During the 9+ years I had spent going to an established gym, I had always kept a secret, snotty, indifferent attitude towards those that engage in some sort of "at-home fitness". "How could that possibly even come close to rivaling the pump and passion felt at a gym?", "There's no WAY one could work that hard at home to even come close to achieving what I achieve here", and of course, "Only the dedicated shred-heads come to a gym".

Apparently, not only was a implying that I belonged in the latter, but I was also very ignorant of the 30# that I was gaining.

But, when all is lost, and one has hit rock-bottom, there is no where to go but up, and nothing to lose, aside from... ahem...several pants sizes.

So began my journey. And though it was difficult, I did keep an open mind. For example, during my years at the gym, I had no idea how naive I truly was. For example, I truly had it in my thick-ass skull that I "couldn't be capable of a foward lunge. My knees just aren't that strong." And push-ups? "unless I'm on a stability ball to align my spine correctly, I just can't do a push-up."

What the HELL!?!!? Time to stage an intervention.

After starting my DVD Body Dream Regime, I have not only learned that 1): I couldn't do a forward lunge because I had horrible form and therefore it was ergonomically impossible to push off from such a ridiculous angle, 2): Push-ups ARE possible because I just had a very weak core, and once I actually admitted to that and worked on it, guess what?? I can do PUSH-UPS!! and 3): the body likes change. It likes a challenge and by taking away tons and tons of heavy weight, I became very FUNCTIONALLY fit, which translated into less back pain, better, more efficient cycling, and a physique that is more Kim Kardashian-bootylicious, less Lurch from the Addams Family. And thanks to the constant commentary most DVD's provide, I was able to actively correct myself, and I could see on-screen, in action, EXACTLY how an exercise should be performed.

Oddly enough, I had never considered how much proper form applies up until I started my challenge.

What about my heart, you ask? As for cardio, I had carried around this pompous attitude that unless it involved a machine with a control panel designed by NASA, or miles upon miles of running or biking, "it just wasn't cardio, and that was a waste of my time."

Wrong again.

For example, I did not realize that I couldn't perform more than oh...maybe 2 squat thrusts at a time without having to take a break. And high knees? Try more like, "jogging in place" for the first three weeks. Ha!! And Mountain Climbers!! Even now, after 6 weeks of doing my DVD's diligently, I still DIE after a minute of Mountain Climbers. And this from a chick who can SMOKE 33 miles on my bike at 20+ mph.

Thank you, Jillian. I hope you are enjoying this. Because my transverse abdominals do not.

Again, open mind. From working on my weaknesses and being able to take my head out of my now-shrinking ass, I have gained so much more over-all strength, and my pelvis now has these super-sexy cuts starting to carve their way out of my low-rise jeans. I guess my squat thrusts and Mountain Climbers do have a place in my "routine."

As for sculpting and weight-lifting, I have also learned that resistance training and cardio are not worth the time spent unless they are diligently and doggedly performed 100% separately. Like children in the backseat of a car, I believed that resistance and cardio did NOT, under any circumstances, play well together, and should be kept as separate as possible.

Why did I believe this? Apparently, because I was incapable of blending them together.

First time I did my "Killer Buns and Thighs"? Lots of repetitions, lots of dynamic exercises incorporating not only a strength factor, but also "getting that heart rate up to burn the fat off of my butt", and...

...I HATED it. But that would be because I was also pathetically out of shape. Meaning, while I could squat 150#, or ride 22 mph for 30 miles, I could not put a working load on my muscles, and still expect my heart to systematically supply itself and my quads. Therefore, learning curve. And as I diligently plugged my DVDs in about 4 times a week, I could see dramatic changes taking place the more I squat-jumped with my own body weight, and the more I incorporated the plyo moves I had (in the past) so desperately avoided. "Body weight training!" as Jillian would say. And it works. The cardio from the plyos and the constant movement of the body coupled with the demand to support and move the body's own weight works beautifully hand-in-hand to provide a comprehensive work-out unlike anything a squat rack was providing for me. And at the time, as I poured sweat, (and yes, at times, tears), on my yoga mat, and gritted through yet another set of jumping side lunges, I vowed that I wouldn't "...stop moving! Don't stop moving!"

Now 6 weeks later, I have successfully slid into a size 8. Something I had not done since....Junior High School?

I think, and I say this with a little reserve, but I think I might have found something that works for me. High Five!!



No comments:

Post a Comment