Monday, April 30, 2012

Crap-Sunday was truly fantastic!!

So the last three nights I worked. And worked. And worked.

At least that's what it felt like. Never-ending work.

Mainly because I had a couple of really emotionally-taxing patients, so between that and the stress of working night-shift, and the stress of being a nurse, (and a relatively new one, at that), I really felt like the 39 hours I put in the last three nights felt more like 139 hours.

And to those of you that work 5 days a week, yeah, yeah, yeah--I get it, I know. I work three nights a week, get full-time benefits and paid the hourly wage I do...what am I complaining about...??

Try doing my job. For real. Like, seriously, TRY doing my job. And after I hold you to my bosom after you cry, then I think you will agree with me when I say...

The wages, the benefits, the "three days a week" part?? It's not enough!!

Good thing I LOVE being an RN, and making a positive difference in people's lives, huh?

So back to the matter at hand: Crap-Sunday. "Crap-Sunday" is my catch-all term for that once in a while day where you really don't give a rats' ass what you're eating; you have no "plan", no carb-count, no calorie goal, no structured exercise to speak of, you're not keeping track of any damn points, and quite frankly, it's the best damn culinary  day, (or night), that you've had in a long time.

Crap-Sunday involved 24 hours of sheer, dabaucherous, gluttony in the form of food.

So after working away for the third night in a row, not exercising during the day because I was EXHAUSTED after being emotionally tried with a very needy patient, and just because "ICU was ordering Main Street pizza, you girls out on NOrth want anything?", I elected last night to be Crap-Sunday.

And boy, was it ever crappy.

A half of a 9" chicken bacon ranch pizza, two mozzarella cheese sticks complete with pizza sauce, a 20 oz. Coke, (not diet!), two hot chocolates and this morning when I got home a plate full of pumpkin spice oatmeal with butter and syrup later? I'm SATISFIED. Sleepy, food-hangover satisfied. My belly is contentedly rounded and firm, my eyes are sleepy, my sweat smells of garlic and I desperately need to brush my teeth, but right now?

I feel AWESOME!!

Crap-Sunday was a success.

Now, before anyone gets excited and starts hyperventilating about "your diet!! You lost all that weight and now you got the taste for junk food!" I just want to remind everyone that in case they did not infer from the "About Me" section here in my blog that I am, in fact, human, and not a half-feral dingo.

In other words, don't worry--Weight Watchers will not be hunting me up to put me down because I can't be trusted around Twinkies anymore.

In fact, I will be more than happy to share, that actually, quite the opposite is true. I have found that after a glorious night of occassionally gorging myself on any kind of junk food imaginable, (for example, that "hot chocolate" I mentioned? Was really hot cocoa powder mixed with softened ice cream), actually makes me stronger in my everyday battle with food. Every now and then, I know I allow myself the chance to make a complete ass out of the ass that I now found, and it's like I don't have that crazy "I gotta have that pizza because it could be the last pizza I'll ever get!-" mentality.

Now that I know those domesticated foods I love so much aren't on the endangered species list, I don't find that I miss them NEARLY as much as those that don't allow themselves a day or two a month, (NO MORE!!), of their own personal Crap-Sunday. And after my bloody smogasbord? The next day, (or later on in the afternoon if I've been working), I'm re-energized to hit the living room and really throw down a killer-bitching work-out.

Kinda like dumping real-man's gas in a Prius, or something. This body needs that fat and carbs to refuel after a couple of weeks of training, dieting and tightening. And for those of you who have never had the courage to start rejoicing in Crap-Sunday? Rest assured, when I hop back on the scale?

Never even an OUNCE has been gained! It's like my body fires up the fires of metabolism and incinerates everything before it has the chance to try to add equity to the winter fuel stores.
Break the habit slowly, and when you're ready for a break, just remember my philosophy regarding Crap-Sunday.


It's like Crap-Sunday is my oasis in the Desert Void of Desserts. And every so often, I gotta stop for a big long drink...

No comments:

Post a Comment